Website Progressive Design, Inc.
We Set the Standard in Engineering Excellence!
Progressive Design, Inc. is currently seeking an entrepreneurially spirited Senior Electrical Engineer/Project Manager. The company’s entrepreneurial culture is key to its success and sets Progressive Design apart from the competition. Accordingly, we are seeking team members that embrace this culture.
This is a full time/direct hire position that is located in Richmond, VA.
Founded in 1986, Progressive Design has grown to become one of the largest privately held multi-discipline engineering companies in central Virginia. Possessing vast experience and technical expertise, we deliver unparalleled value to our customers.
Progressive Design supports manufacturing facilities and clients in the Eastern US with areas of specialization including: project feasibility studies, detailed project/construction estimates, process improvement analysis, new process design, process upgrades, air pollution abatement technology and integration, environmental compliance, product design and capital projects. The company serves Fortune 500 companies in industries such as food processing, films, fibers, plastics, paper, chemicals, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, power, metals, wastewater treatment, and discrete manufacturing.
Senior Electrical Engineers are willing and able to visit client facilities and discuss problems. They also have the ability to develop subsequent solutions, then write and effectively communicate scopes of work and/or proposals. This is huge – we need people with technical skills that can think on their feet, recognize a client need and offer help. Senior Electrical Engineers need to be able to develop work scopes independently with limited supervision or guidance. Typically, in order to do this, a candidate for this position will need experience in manufacturing to understand the various roles: production, maintenance, planning, HS&E, and engineering in order to know where, within a facility, the information necessary to develop a solution can be found.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for performing electrical engineering duties on assigned projects including power distribution, machine control design, instrument and control design, and programming (PLC, PC, MMI, etc.)
- Develop bids, proposals, scopes of work, scope changes, correspondence, estimates, schedules, material lists, specifications, theories of operation, programming documentation, design concepts, design drawings and other project documentation per customer and corporate guidelines
- Perform field work and technical research
- Perform technical studies and calculations
- Perform programming and system commissioning
- 10+ years of heavy industrial experience
- Active PE License or E.I.T. certification with the drive to earn PE license within 3-years will be considered
- BSEE or BSEET
- Plant experience in an Engineering, Engineering Support or Maintenance Tech Support role
- Project Management and Design leadership experience from concept, documentation development, standards definitions through checking, submittals, construction, startup, commissioning, handover and long-term support
- Capital project development experience – understanding of justifications and risks
- Project estimating experience – development of required documentation, Engineering and Design hours estimates, construction materials and labor
- Experience with industrial plant (Electrical, Power, Controls, Instrumentation, NFPA 70, NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 101) constructability reviews
- Power System Engineering experience – 15kV and below
- Specification of medium voltage equipment, such as, MCCs, power transformers, distribution panels, etc.
- Experience with one-Line diagram development, analysis, load studies
- Understanding of Arc Flash and System Coordination
- Experience with SKM or ETAP software is preferred
- Electrical Classification (NFPA 70/Article 500) understanding and application experience
- Reading and updating P&IDs
- Experience evaluating controls and instrumentation integrations
- PLC and/or DCS Hardware Conversion experience (experience with multiple platforms is preferred)
- System integration experience: Controls and Signals – additions and new equipment tie-ins
- Instrumentation – basic understanding of process measurements and signaling
- Instrumentation – experience and proven expertise toward developing specification and selections based upon process conditions and needs
- Experience with power System Controls/Relaying
- Design experience of electrical and control schematics
- Working knowledge of NEC, BOCA and other codes related to design
- PE Registration
- Experience with SKM or ETAP software
- Experience in an industrial chemical processing environment
- Current working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Current working knowledge of MS Project
We offer a fast paced, exciting work environment with a competitive compensation package including: Health Care Benefits, Vacation, 401K and tuition reimbursement.