Website Progressive Design, Inc.
We Set the Standard in Engineering Excellence!
Founded in 1986, Progressive Design has grown to become one of the largest privately held multi-discipline engineering firms in central Virginia. Possessing vast experience and technical expertise, we deliver unparalleled value to our customers.
Progressive Design is a multi-discipline engineering consulting office supporting manufacturing facilities and clients in the Eastern US with areas of specialization including: project feasibility studies, process improvement analysis, new process design, process upgrades, air pollution abatement technology and integration, environmental compliance, product design, industrial capital projects, and detailed project/construction estimates. The company serves Fortune 500 companies in industries such as food processing, films, fibers, plastics, paper, chemicals, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, power, metals, wastewater treatment, and discrete manufacturing.
Our Process/Mechanical Group is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This position is located in Midlothian, VA – (Richmond, VA area).
Mechanical Engineers/Project Managers are responsible for performing engineering duties on assigned projects including process, HVAC, and mechanical related engineering and design.
Mechanical Engineers/Project Managers are willing and able to visit client facilities and discuss problems. They also have the ability to develop subsequent solutions, then write and effectively communicate scopes of work and/or proposals. This is huge – we need people with technical skills that can think on their feet, recognize a client need and offer help.
- Work under the supervision of Senior Project Managers to perform engineering assignments based on client needs.
- Assist with developing bids, proposals, scopes of work, block flow diagrams, material and energy balances, P&ID development, scope changes, correspondence, estimates, schedules, material lists, specifications, design concepts, and other project documentation per customer and corporate guidelines.
- Size, rate, and specify safety relief devices per client standards.
- Perform field work and technical research.
- Perform technical studies and calculations.
- Maintain familiarity with various industrial codes of construction, e.g. ASME and API.
- Establish process performance specifications for all items of process equipment.
- Assist in commissioning and start-up of process plant.
- Prepare process and mechanical flow diagrams to establish fluid flow circuits and process controls.
- Develop specifications for multiple types of process equipment.
- Develop process flow diagrams and process & instrumentation diagrams to establish fluid flow circuits and process controls.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- 10+ years of Heavy Industrial experience.
- Understanding of the functionality of common equipment used in chemical and industrial manufacturing processes.
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to maintenance & constructability considerations in all design applications.
- Proven technical and business writing skills.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, various CAD software packages.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience in an industrial chemical processing environment is a plus.
- Current working knowledge of safety relief valve sizing and system design procedures.
- Current working knowledge of chemical engineering principles with an emphasis on fluid mechanics, mass and heat transfer, and thermodynamics.
We offer a fast paced, exciting work environment with a competitive compensation package including: Health Care Benefits, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, 401(k) with Company Match, Paid Overtime, Performance Based Bonus, and Tuition Reimbursement.